College of Nursing
- Discuss the meaning of the title and subtitle of the book, using the text to back-up your discussion points.
- Talk about the concept of non-judging in terms of the idea of God’s “jurisdiction”, the “no-matter whatness” of God’s acceptance. See pages 115, 130, 136. What needs to change in us so that we can practice non-judging?
- Is Father Greg’s God the same as the God of the Sufi poets? If so, how? If not, how? See page 21 of the text and consider a poem of the Sufi poets. See provided link to the Sufi poets.
- Explore the concept of shame as a legacy of growing up in the poverty that the gang members experience. Compare that legacy with the “unearned privilege of whiteness” described by Peggy McIntosh. See provided link.
- Choose a homie or a homegirl and describe the qualities that draw you to that person.
- It is an essential tenet of Buddhism that we can begin to change the world by first changing how we look at the world.” (page 162) What does that mean for you?
- What does kinship mean to Father Greg? Use the text to support your discussion.
- How can the work of Father Greg inform/inspire the life of a student at Creighton?